1. Location A marriage license may be issued in any parish in Louisiana, regardless of where the nuptial is to be performed, or where the parties reside. Marriage ceremonies must take place in Louisiana. Nuptials are of record in the parish where the marriage license was issued, not in the parish where the marriage ceremony is conducted. Therefore, following the ceremony after the license is signed by the parties and the officiant, it must be returned to the Clerk of Court in the parish where the license was issued.
2. Relationship Louisiana State law prohibits the marriages of individuals who are related by blood or adoption within the fourth degree collateral (second cousins may marry).
3. Age Requirement Applicants must be Eighteen (18) years of age to purchase a marriage license without parental consent. If an applicant is Seventeen (17) years of age, or younger consent of both parents are required. If younger than Sixteen (16), an applicant must have both parents consent and permission from a State District Judge in the form of a Court Order. Parents must be the same individuals as named on the applicant’s birth certificate, and must appear in proper person with current official identification to sign the permission document. Parents must appear with the bride and bridegroom at the time of license application. Sole custody papers presented must be certified legal documents as issued by the Court relating to the minor applicant. Provisional custody by mandate documents, power of attorney, and notarial emancipation are not acceptable. The Clerk’s office will only accept a Judicial Emancipation signed by a State District Judge.
4. Birth Certificates/Birth Cards Applicants must present official birth certificates or official birth cards with the raised seal of the state. Driver’s licenses, State identification cards, Military identification cards, Passports or Naturalization may not be substituted for the birth certificates, unless a birth certificate waiver is signed by a State District Judge. Original foreign language birth certificates must be translated into English by that country’s Consulate per LA R.S. 13:3725. No other translations are acceptable. Foreign language originals must be submitted along with the original translations.
5. Prior Marriages/ Documentation
If either applicant has been previously married, the applicant must provide a signed, dated copy of the final divorce decree or judgment, or if the former spouse is deceased, a copy of the death certificate naming the applicant as the surviving spouse. Original foreign language divorce and death certificates must be translated into English by that country’s Consulate as per LA R.S. 13:3725. No other translations are acceptable. foreign language originals must be submitted along with the original translation.
6. Social Security Numbers/Other Information
Applicants are also required to submit the last four digits of their Social Security number, residence addresses, father’s full name, mother’s full maiden name and place of parents’ birth. If an applicant does not have a United States of America Social Security number, they must appear in person at the time of application. The applicant will be required to write, sign and date a statement in the presence of the issuing clerk stating that they do not have a social security number because they are a citizen of another nation. Statements must not be prepared in advance or brought to the Clerk’s office.
Marriage license fee is $27.50, CASH ONLY.
8. Time Requirement
Applicants must obtain the marriage license at least three (3) day (72 hours) prior to the nuptial ceremony. Either the bride or bridegroom must appear in proper person at the Clerk’s office to apply for the marriage license. MARRIAGE LICENSE EXPIRED THIRTY (30) DAYS FROM THE DATE AND TIME OF ISSUE. IF NOT USED IT WILL BE EXPIRED NULL AND VOID. N.B. If only one applicant appears at the Clerk’s office to apply for the marriage license, they must bring and provide all the required documents for both parties. Moreover, they will provide all information for the bride or bridegroom as well as for themselves.
To obtain a copy of a marriage license, please provide the following information:
Bride and Groom first and last names.
Date license was issued.
Phone No. (318) 932-6741